A piece of sodium metal is added to a beaker of water. One of the products is hydrogen gas. Name the other product. Give the full name, not the symbol.
5 (1 оценка)
recordofraganrok 6 months agoСветило науки - 662 ответа - 0 помощи
- When a metal combines with water, metal hydroxide is formed, as well as hydrogen gas.
- The equation in which the total number of individual atoms on the reactant side equals the total number of individual atoms on the product side is known as a balanced chemical equation.
- For the reaction of sodium metal with water, a balanced chemical equation is as follows:
- 2 Na +2 H20 ---> H2 + 2 NAOH
- The equation above is balanced.
- By Stoichiometry of the reaction:
- 2 moles of sodium metal reacts with 2 moles of water to produce 2 moles of sodium hydroxide and 1 mole of hydrogen gas
Hence, the other product in the given reaction is sodium hydroxide